Break {personal}

Monday, October 18, 2010

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days
are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens,
but just those that bring simple little pleasures,
following one another softly,

like pearls slipping off a string."

{ -l.m. montgomery }


120.

That's how many days I've been gone (traveling) this year. That's almost half of the 291 days that have passed this year. When I sat down and calculated all that up, I was shocked. I mean, I realized that I had been gone alot, but it didn't feel like that much! By about April of this year I knew my Summer was going to be crazy busy, between the wedding's I had booked, a friends wedding I was a part of, two friends graduations, and all the other little things that seem to fill up my Summer every year (you know, like daily trips to Sonic during happy hour. The important things, right?! ;) but I had plans for a calm Fall. A few weddings, a few portraits sessions, no traveling, and lots of time spent working on my website, new branding, and goal setting for the new year.

Ha.

Who was I kidding? ;) Just as soon as I get through a really busy month to a month that I'm hoping will be slower . . . I look at my calendar and wonder where on earth all those appointments came from. And as much as I love what I do, love that I get to travel so much, see friends, visit cool places, I miss the calm predictability of Home. I miss structure and schedules, I miss cooking dinner, and going on "dates" with my siblings.

And so, because life seems to never slow down on it's own, I've decided that I'm just going to have to slow down intentionally - and that's what I'm doing this week. I realized looking at my calendar a few weeks ago, that the next month of my life was completely crammed except for this week. I saw a brief 5 day break in the craziness and immediately knew that it needed to stay that way. I blocked those days out on my calendar and decided that nothing would be scheduled those days and it was going to be my "vacation" ;)

So this is to let you all know that after today I won't be answering emails (unless they're super urgent), I wont be blogging, I won't be posting new pictures/updates on my Facebook business page, and I probably wont be tweeting much (if at all) until the middle of next week. I'll be doing much more important things like cooking home-made pretzels and caramel apples, and trying out several new recipes I've been dying to make off of the pioneer woman's website like this one. I'm hoping to take my younger siblings to this river I found the other day to go exploring, and hopefully come back very wet and muddy ;) I want to finish several books I've been reading verrry slowly over the past few weeks, and take the time to write real hadwritten letters to friends. I want to take the time to enjoy life's "simple little pleasures . . ." while I can.

I will still be doing some business related things, but only for a few hours every day, like trying to finish up my website, finish working on my new brand to go along with it, and put the finishing touches on a couple of ideas for the new year that I can't wait to share with y'all.




I hope y'all have a wonderful week, and take time to enjoy those you love most!


Much Love.
Jessica Shae
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! Way to be intentional about giving yourself a rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea!!!! I'm going away for a while, too.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post, Jessica! <3 I love how you post L.M. Montgomery quotes...she's one of my favorite authors! I could read her books for hours... Enjoy your slower week, girl! Hope it's a beautiful one full of things that make you smile! This post reminded me of a quote, "What a lot we lost when we stopped writing handwritten letters, you can't re-read a phone call." Blessings on you!! ~Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, this one is my favorite photo! :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey!
Thanks for taking the time to say hello, it makes my day everytime! :)

Jessica Shae