Ian & Larissa: committed love || dallas, tx wedding photographer

Friday, May 11, 2012

I know, I know, this is probably old news... Everyone's been posting Ian & Larissa's story since early Tuesday morning when this video first hit the web.  But maybe, just maybe some of you haven't seen it yet?  ...and really, it's not a story that you want to miss.

I first heard Ian & Larissa's story almost 3 years ago when my friend, Lydia, posted some pictures that she had taken of them.  I cried the first time I read what they'd been through, and how they were still together (though at that point they weren't even engaged) and then I cried again when Lydia posted their wedding pictures with more of their story just a year later.

The Boy and I have talked a lot about the differences between the phrases "falling in love" and "learning to love."  We are not falling in love, because love is not something that you happen upon, or stumble into, but is deliberate and an action that requires patience and tenacity.  Real Christlike love (and what better kind could there possibly be?) is rooted in a desire to see God glorified through selflessly serving the other person, and can ONLY be accomplished through His power.  I can find myself getting caught up in the blog posts detailing how or where he proposed, or sighing over how romantic someone's wedding day or "love story" is, and while those sweet stories have their place, I think we walk a dangerous line when we make too much of our story, and forget that we are but instruments charged with the task of proclaiming the greatest love story ever written.

I cried once more Tuesday morning as I watched this video put together by Desiring God Ministries, because of how challenged I was by Ian & Larissa who are living the gospel in such a simple, mind blowing way.  Praise the Lord for his grace and faithfulness through circumstances like this, and praise Him for people like Ian & Larissa who are committed to living counter-cultural lives for His glory!

The video is slightly long, but you won't regret one second of it.  Watch and be challenged and encouraged!



p.s. you can read more of Ian & Larissa's story on their blog.

Much Love,
Jessica Shae
Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I hadn't yet heard Ian & Larissa's story, thank you so much for sharing it Jessica. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this video on Lydia's site last week...I think it's wonderful! And I totally agree with what you said. To many girls are "in love with love" and don't realize the true meaning of the word. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I have never heard their story before, and I'm so glad I got the chance to! They are just...wow. I don't even know what to say. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing story! This is the first time I have heard it and its a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible testimony of God's love.

    Yes, your right about this being all over the web. I've now seen it on 4 different people's blogs.:)

    It is such an incredible story though........

    Have a great day!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had seen their wedding pictures + story before but that video was amazing to watch. so beautiful to see how they are living out the selfless love of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my friends shared this video on Facebook, but I never watched it until now. It is such an amazing story! God is sooo good. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, I've watched it twice now, and cried both times. =')

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...no words. They are amazing. So is God. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen this and was absolutely breath taken! They are such a beautiful testament of God's faithfulness and persevering love :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen this video (or heard this story) before. This literally took my breath away. I nearly started crying. Ian and Larissa are so inspiring. Just....ahhh. I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete

Oh hey!
Thanks for taking the time to say hello, it makes my day everytime! :)

Jessica Shae